These muffins are so cute. Who doesn’t love a mini muffin? These strawberry banana smoothie muffins are just the right amount of sweet and the right amount of healthy goodness. You will feel good about eating them and your kids will gobble these muffins up.
I love coming up with healthy snacks that don’t seem healthy. Muffins are always a hit on that front. My daughter thinks they’re little cupcakes, I’m sure. While some muffins are basically cupcakes, I’ve packed these full of fruit and some other healthy surprises. Don’t worry, I’ve still kept them yummy. It’s all about moderation.
For this recipe, I took the basic components of a classic strawberry banana smoothie and turned it into a muffin. I even used the blender! Not only was it fun to use the blender for muffins, it sure mixed up the wet ingredients in a snap! From start to finish, these muffins were popping fresh in my mouth in less than 30 minutes! I can’t wait to try other smoothie variations of this recipe. Maybe even tweak it to be even healthier.
Remember those healthy surprises I was talking about? Well, these muffins have some whole wheat flour and flax seeds in the mixture! You won’t even notice, I promise. My family sure didn’t! The seeds get blended up with the wet ingredients, keeping the texture nice and smooth.
You can use either fresh or frozen fruits in this muffin. I had equal results with both. Although I did like adding some fresh chopped strawberry at the end. It added a little extra strawberry flavor and a nice little extra ‘something’ to the muffin.
Muffins are just a great snack option in my house. It keeps the kids away from the sweets but it feels more special for them than just eating a banana. We still go through our fair share of whole fruits and vegetables, but I like giving them healthy options to choose from. If your family loves muffins as much as mine, try this fun twist. Everyone in my house loved them!
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Muffins
By Katie Olesen
Turn your smoothie into a delicious bite-sized snack!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 cup strawberries, frozen or fresh (about 6 large)
- 2 heaping tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large fresh strawberries, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease and flour 2 – 24 cup mini muffin pans. (tip: I like to use Baker’s Joy non-stick spray with flour.)
- Whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a blender, blend wet ingredients and flax seeds until smooth.
- With a large spoon or spatula stir ‘smoothie’ into dry ingredients until everything is well combined being careful not to over mix.
- Optional: Fold in chopped fresh strawberries.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup. Bake at 400°, 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and sides of muffins are golden brown.
Yield: 48 mini muffins