All you need is an hour or so and you’ll have a big batch of nuggets. Bake some for lunch and freeze the rest. For the recipe, you’ll put big chunks of chicken in the bowl of your food processor, along with the potato, a little seasoning, and some parmesan cheese. Flip the switch. Let it grind until it just starts to come together into a ball and everything is finely ground. Then I melt a couple tablespoons of butter and mix it with some panko breadcrumbs. With a small cookie scoop, scoop about 1 tablespoon of the mixture and pat it into a nugget shape. Press into the breadcrumbs and bam! Nuggets. Better than store-bought. At this stage you can either freeze them or bake them. You’ll get about 45 nuggets from this recipe. No need to defrost when you’re ready to bake. You can just bake them a few minutes longer than if they were fresh.
CAUTION: Cuteness overload ahead. Sorry, I’m not sorry for all the pictures of my cute LB enjoying her nuggets. I couldn’t choose between them. She really is too cute for her own good. No, I’m not at all biased. Yes, you’ll just have to suffer through them to get to the recipe. Ok? Good.
|Not sure about bbq sauce.|
|Much better. 🙂|
|That’s about 40 nuggets, ready for the freezer!|
Home-Made Chicken Nuggets
By Katie Olesen
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup mashed potato
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon salt-free garlic herb blend seasoning, like Mrs. Dash
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Cut chicken breasts into large chunks. Place into the bowl of a food processor along with the mashed potato, parmesan cheese, salt, and seasoning.
- Turn on food processor. Allow to process until chicken and other ingredients start to form a ball and are finely ground, about 30 seconds or so.
- Combine the melted butter and panko breadcrumbs together in a small bowl.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out 1 tablespoon size portions of chicken mixture. Pat into a nugget shape. Press into breadcrumbs to evenly coat each nugget.
- To bake: bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Switch oven to broil on high for a couple of minutes if you want them more browned on top.
- To freeze: Place breaded, uncooked nuggets in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze for 30 min, until hardened. Place frozen nuggets into a freezer bag. Will last several months in the freezer. To bake frozen nuggets: place frozen nuggets on baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Note: When baking, make sure internal temp reaches 165°. You can crank oven to 450° to speed up baking times.
Yield: 45 nuggets
adapted from weelicious